Thursday, December 31, 2009

Kaisercraft Birdhouse Holiday style!

I got this done just before Christmas, but lighting has been soo bad. I wanted to photograph it on the wall and not laying down. So these are the best I can get you now. I will also post some beginning prep photos of the process, but not all the decorating, I will just "spell" it out for you all. I hope you like this.












Supplies used for this project: Kaisercraft MDF Birdhouse, Holiday papers from K & Company, Melissa Frances, velvet paper (for under word JOY) and Making Memories. Embellishments were Melissa Frances Stickers (center of Circle), and then the K & Company Evergreen Chipboard and Evergreen 3D stickers, Martha Stewart Clear Microbeads, Stickles Diamond glitter, Crochet ribbon, Martha Stewart edge punch, dimensional adhesive strips, American Crafts Thickers glittered with Distressing stickles shabby shutters,Chesnut roan ink, Prima poinsettia flowers, Melissa Frances button, Kaisercraft Pearl and red rhinestones. Also,Cream colored Folk art craft paint. The birdhouse, and microbeads are in the store and assorted colors of stickles and distress stickles. Enjoy creating.

First you snap apart the birdhouse- then using a craft knife you cut the nibs off and sand- As seen in the following photos.





Then I painted the front, back and edges of all pieces. The front can be a sheer coating, but the edges and back may be seen to I did two good coats.

Then I picked my base paper, applied a thin amount of Tombow liquid glue to the front of the birdhouse just 1/8" from the edges and any openings or holes. Sorry the images have disappeared, or I would show you this part. I laid the paper on top and pressed firmly and smoothed. Then I flipped it over and trimmed right up and around the birdhouse. I used a small exacto and cut from the back through all holes- just in case they were needed.

I do have pictured of the ledge and how that looks. You can paint first before fitting the piece together, but this can cause some expansion of the wood, making it more of a tight fit. I did cover it with a washcloth and used a hammer to pound the decorative piece into the slots. I did also cover the piece with paper first ( but not on the prongs that fit into the slots). Then I finished it with the ink and some stickles.

I used layers of the dimensional adhesive strips, and layered the roof line and painted the edge. The complete the punched piece, I first cute the shape of the roof line and had it longer than the roof line, I cut the inside edge so that after the punch was used I had it the correct width I wanted. So the piece looked like a large narrow V shape. The Martha stewart punch was used. I started the closest I could to the inside corner and worked my way out on both sides. That left a piece in the center un-punched. I used scissors and hand cut what I figured looked close enough to the decorative punched edge.

This it the top of the roof line- so you can see the layers.



I used Terrifically tacky sheets to cover the ring in the center and around the edge of the plaque, then sprinkled the microbeads on. The sticker in the middle was placed on a paper and placed behind the opening with adhesive. Then the ring was placed around the opening.

Most of this is very simple, just layering your elements how you like and finishing with the glitter, and inking as you go.

TIP: the plaque lays far into the edge, so if you want it to sit higher use dimensional tape strips stacked in it and leave the top piece of the protective coating on the strip on. Then if you decide to lay your worded plaque in the ledge you will be able to see it. The item comes with the hooks (I used only 1), but there are a couple little holes on each side of the hook I have in place and you can use this for a little keychain rack too.

Thanks for looking.
Pin It!

2 comments:

@JoyceCasaldi said...

Beautiful Kristen!

Kristen said...

Thank you Ashjoy! I really appreciate you making comments!!