Thursday, January 27, 2011

3D art project with shimmerz sprays and paint

 This last two weeks have been very hectic and part of that was my textile and materials class.  This project was to take a image/picture of something we could be inspired by. So, I picked Van Goughs Iris painting.  Then we were to distress and change fabric to make something.  Thankfully my friends mom had this lighting fixture and gave it to me and off to the creative races I went.  Here it is and the close up of a flower.



and another view



the flower closeup


I am going to show photos of the process below and what I did.

First I had to twist wire to add to the lighting fixture for more support, then wrapped wire in batting and wrapped with cotton fabric, which was also doused in texture paste watered down. That gives it a more grainy feeling and it is still flexible to bend. 

                                             Here is a close up of the stems- see the shimmer? :)



                                         The fixture with added wire and I tested the moss too

The leaf before and then a group after wire and added spritz of color



Then I hand cut the satin fabric petals one by one and the organza petals one by one and the leaves. Then I stitched tiny white wire to the leaves and the center area of the petals.  Then using Shimmerz spray and paints and some Tattered Angels Glimmer mist I colored the petals and did spray the leaves as well. Up close you can see it sparkle (love it)


                                                                     
                                Petals after spritzed and a photo of the some of the colors I used




Then I did a burning technique on the flowers and then attached them to the stems.

The centers of the flowers are made of white yarn and I basically filled my hand with craft paint and squished it around, then they dried and I glued them to the centers.

Then I bent and attached the flowers to the lighting fixture and then covered all areas under and around the flowers with dried moss. 

I am planning on removing the wiring from the top and possible rework it into a table lamp (which may or may not happen) regardless I like it, the class seemed to really like it and even the bank teller noticed it and said it was wonderful on the way to class.  Hooray for me, next project has been assigned, due in about 3 weeks. Maybe I will share it if it is worthy LOL. Thanks for looking

 Oh p.s if your looking for the sprays check out AWDML.com or fortheluvofart.com  I have also seen a large selection of Glimmer mists at Bluemoonscrapbooking  Shimmerz has its own retail shop at the link.
  Shimmerz just came out with a solid full color spray called colorings ( they may or may not be ready to ship yet) and then just shimmer to spray over them if you like. All the other sprays have shimmer in them. They are water based, and the paints can be watered down and used like watercolors or right out of the jar. Blingz is HIGHLY blinged out, the pearls are just like it sounds light shimmery effect, Vibez is a bit more intense, but not full color like the new colorings
Pin It!

1 comment:

wendy @licketysplitscrapbooks said...

Holy cow Kristen - this is amazing! You totally blow me away!